Monday, November 21, 2011

The Asshole Award

My sister and I were planning on doing our grandmother's shopping today. Of course, when we called Alice to tell her we were coming over, she said that she hadn't even thought about her grocery list yet. Joanna and I got very irritated over this fact..."What ELSE is she doing?" we both said, huffing and puffing in the car. We decided to still go over and visit with our grandmother, who used pretty much the entire visit hemming and hawing over if maybe she ACTUALLY DID want us to pick some things up for her. We all decided against it, instead choosing to watch "The Real Housewives of Atlanta." The thing was, when we were leaving, my grandmother says:
"Wait...do you need money?"
I felt like an asshole because now I am painfully aware that our grandmother probably thinks the only reason we ever go to see her is to get money. This simply is not true. I visit my grandmother a lot with my mother, and Joanna visits her a lot on her own time. It just so happens that usuall,y when Joanna and I are together visitng our grandmother, it is to take her to an appointment or do her shopping, and our grandmother will usually pay us for gas or what have you. Her offering up money today, however, for a visit? It made me feel awful, I instantly felt bad about talking shit in the car, even though it was out of aggrevation. I guess it kinda makes Joanna and I look like granny hookers. "$50 bucks for your laundry, $100 to sit and chat, and 60% goes to T-Dog."
-Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment